Envato Tuts+ Courses
- Video courses taught by expert instructors.
- Learn new skills from start to finish.
- Downloadable Source Files also available on GitHub.
WordPress is a powerful and easy-to-use content management system (CMS) out of the box. The default “Page” and “Post” content types are enough for many websites and blogs. In order to really harness the power of WordPress as a CMS, though, you’ll want create custom content types with fields and taxonomies specific to your particular application.
In this course, Envato Tuts+ instructor Rachel McCollin will show you how to create custom content types in WordPress. You’ll learn how custom content types work with the WordPress database, plugin and templating system. Along the way, you’ll use custom post types, custom taxonomies, and custom fields to build a simple astronomy CMS for displaying information about the largest moons in the solar system!
What You’ll Learn
- What custom post types are and how they work.
- How to register and display custom post types.
- How to work with custom taxonomies.
- How to create a metabox for custom fields and display them in your theme.
- Consolidate your learning by completing the hands-on project of building a simple astronomy CMS.
About the Instructor
Rachel McCollin is a WordPress developer who writes books, articles and tutorials about web design and development, with a focus on WordPress and on responsive and mobile development. She runs a web design agency in Birmingham, UK and has published three books on WordPress. Find out more on her website, on Twitter, or on LinkedIn.